Saturday, May 15, 2010

A little trash talk

You know, overall, being a mom is really great. Breath taking sometimes even. There are parts though, they are small, that really get me questioning my decision to become a mom. It leaves me pondering if I had somehow lost my senses when I thought it was a good idea to be a mom to not only one kid, but two kids.

They really are little things. For example. Like the aversion to the trash can. There are several trusted places I can easily find mounds of garbage ... and not one of them is the trash can. Any of the trashcans we own, actually.

The first place? The kitchen counter. I will say - throw the three day old popcorn bag in the garbage please. Where does it end up? Why yes, on the counter. Throw that shredded paper (formerly known as important documents) in the trash can. Pffft. Please. It's on the counter. In a not so neat pile of what was formerly known as the last copy of our marriage certificate we could find. (We've paid for at least 7 copies to date.)

Then, there is the mobile trash can. Moi. And it's like bulk trash pick up day if I am carrying a purse. Chewing a piece of gum? Why, yes, I'd love that crumpled up wrapper (from Ethan and not, Tyler. He is a hoarder of wrappers ... another story). Wait, you're finished chewing that wad of slobbery gum, sure I'd love that too. What's that? Random bits of paper and old stale happy meal fries? Why, yes, please give them to me. I am carrying my purse. Might as well give me the big glob of string ... and what is that? Bulk pick up is never pretty.

Then, there is the car. This is like those big green dumpsters you see outside of apartment complexes. Except ours is red and known by the general masses as our Jeep. My kids see a place to dump the crap they would have to take inside and put away. I know that on an average day, I can piece together a three course meal of molded leftovers, supply enough toys and pieces of toys to make Santa look like a light weight, and probably clothe all of Southern Ohio. That's just how we roll .... literally.

And with all these non garbage can dump sites, somehow our trash can is always over flowing.

1 comment:

  1. You just described my van, and kitchen counter. And this is why I don't carry a purse. My last one got ruined by run away skittles glued into the lining.

    I live in fear of two.

    ReplyDelete